Home » The Small Screen

Phwoar and Peace

HAL has previously had her spake about BBC3′s Lip Service – in particular she seemed focused on that Frankie character, played by Ruta Gedmintas.

Well, who I want to talk about is the character of Sam. Detective Sergeant Sam Murray, to be precise.

(Does she have a surname? Do I care? Yes, thanks to commenter Sue!)

While Laura Fraser is super duper – and she is, not least for having performed opposite Helen Baxendale in The Investigator (watch it, it’s excellent) – for me, her character Cat was summarily swept aside in episode two of Lip Service by Cat’s love interest, Heather Peace’s Sam. Lovely, lovely Heather Peace…

(sigh)

Okay, there are those who aren’t exactly happy with the programme’s (non-)representation of butch lesbians, and I agree that Sam isn’t a butch character (is that really what we’re supposed to think??) but I don’t care! That smile… Those shirts… That authoritative air… That waistcoat… Those arms… That voice… Those cheek- er, cheekbones!

Episode two developed Sam’s character beyond the comic relief of Cat’s cringe worthiness.  And shouldn’t we be glad?  Just look. What wondrousness. Here’s the actor’s her website. Here she is avec guitar and being patron of Manchester Pride.  And here she is – let me sit down for this – as a firemanwoman no less!  (She is there in that link, honestly.  Hidden right in the middle.)

And to top it all, she’s actually gay in real life.

Heather Peace (and DS Sam), I salute you!

Update:

BBC’s Lip Service promo, including Sam’s introduction to the show:

BBC’s snippet where “Cat makes an effort to improve her flirting technique whilst on a date with Sam”:

Bless.

• [...] This post was mentioned on Twitter by gaelick, Joan O'Connell. Joan O'Connell said: (It's about @heatherpeace, geddit? Pun-tastic!) — RT @gaelick NEW: Phwoar and Peace : http://tinyurl.com/37zd493 [...]

Tweets that mention Phwoar and Peace: Lip Service lesbians | gaelick -- Topsy.com said:
  • Love Sam – great character and she is quite the looker indeed!
    Shall definitely be watching next week:)

Also I don’t get all the fuss about Frankie?
    She is just a blonde Shane – not exactly original is she?!

Shauna said:
  • Murray I think it is DS Sam Murray but she is my favourtie so far, assuming her character last the 6 episode tangent! She has a fierce fit body also!

Sue said:
  • She’s a lezzer in real life?!
    YAY!!
    Not that it matters like, but YAY!!!
    I have to say, I really think that the Beeb think she’s butch, or as butch as they’re comfortable with. Hilarious! They have no idea really, bless.
    I’m really liking the contrast between Sam’s well-adjusted, normality and Frankie’s pottiness. Who will Cat choose?

hal said:
  • They actually had Cat *call* her butch in the episode. What was really creepy is that in the same scene where we meet Sam, there are actual butches in the background. My kingdom for an actual butch character on telly.
    Frankie’s not even a blonde Shane. She’s a blonde Shane with Jennie’s drama.

CanuckJacq said:
  • Well, I don’t care what she’s called – Murray, Sarge, butch…

She’s hawt.

• “I can be brave sometimes”

*swoon*

orange said:
  • [...] up the lesbians. Gaelick HQ is divided into various camps with some for Team Frankie, some for Team Sam and some who just don’t care Related posts:A Suppa Earl [...]

A Suppa Earl Gae - Lesbian and gay news headlines from around the web | gaelick said:
  • In’t she grand?

More highlights from the second episode: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=87EiJZ_1TcM

• Sam is great, I really hope Cat picks her but I bet we are meant to want her to pick Frankie.
    Frankie is a pain in the a*se
    Loving Tess and Cat’s friendship too, hilarious

Gooner said:
  • I’d take Cat home!
    Meow!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Mo said:
  • awww i love sam. she is soo cool and hot! I love her style!

Milly said:
  • @ Milly – Isn’t she fab?!  I think it’s safe to say she’s the most popular character in the show. There. I’ve decided.
    : )

• [...] Applause Award of the evening went to Sam’s character (Heather Peace) who told Cat (Laura Fraser) to stop being a self-absorbed [...]

Lip Service: Episode Three | gaelick said:
  • There IS a God. I heart Heather.

rbk said:
  • i am too young for hot flushes but Sam gets me flushed everytime she comes on screen. WOWZA!!!!

Bev said:
  • Heather you are soo amazing!!!! come in Italy!!!!!

Babe said:
  • sam is the hottest thing on the show , thats the only reason i watch it! i swear franky is the worst just like shane terrible, person . cat should be with sam! i hate that you let her sleep with franky it was such a mistake, it almost made me sick. i will stop watching this show if you put cat with franky! i hated shane and dislike franky more!!!!!!

aleshia said:
  • I enjoyed the new series however felt it a bit short. Roll on the next series?….:) I thought it was written and acted very well, sort of reminded me of some of my own life experiences! lol loves not always black and white :o

Karen M said:
  • Hey Karen! Yeah, six episodes for a series isn’t that long – especially when two-thirds of the original cast are gone by the time it’s halfway through!

Fingers crossed for the next series, though, defo.