Rebels honour Cork’s LGBT community
Last night saw the second annual Cork Rebel Awards take place to honour members of the LGBT community in the south.
The Cork Rebel Awards were established as a non profit collaboration between the Cork Gay Project, Cork Pride, GayCork.com and L.inC to acknowledge LGBT people and organisations for their contributions, work and support to the Cork LGBT community.
The inaugural event was held on the 30th of May 2009 in Scotts Bar as part of Cork Pride Festival, but for 2010 it was decided to hold the awards in their own right, later in the calendar.
This year the public was invited to nominate people and organisations their choices, which were added to the shortlists. The overall winner of each award was then chosen by the Rebel Awards committee with consultation with the Cork Gay Project and L.inC.
And the winners are…
- Mens initiative: Unite
- Women’s initiative: Women’s fun weekend
- Social Group: UCC LGBT
- Straight Up Award: Rev. Brian O’Rourke, Rector of St. Anne’s, Shandon
- LGBT Friendly Business: Freakscene
- Honorary Corkionan: Marriage Equality
- Peoples Choice: Divine Miss M
- Lifetime achievement: Helen Slattery of LinC
Congratulations to all those who made the shortlist and to all the winners!
No related posts.