Home » Current Affairs

Assault has a price; from as little as €5k

On Wednesday, Judge Martin Nolan sentenced Mark Jordan (39) to two-and-a-half years in prison for the violent assault that left permanent scarring on his ex-girlfriend’s face. His ex, American journalist Jane Ruffino, recalls that during the assault she feared for her life, and she has shared photos of the clump of hair he pulled out of her head and the significant amount blood left in their bedroom following the assault.

Image from rte.ie

However, the judge also suspended the sentence, provided Celbridge-native Mark Jordan pay the woman he violently assaulted €5000 over the next two years.

She told the court that he suddenly went quiet, got out of bed, put her in a headlock and began punching her in the head.

She was screaming and trying to get away as he screamed obscenities and abuse at her. Ms Ruffino said she feared she would be killed.

Irish Independent

Not the only one

This is not the first time this judge’s sentencing has attracted attention this year. Only a month ago, 29-year-old rapist Graham Griffiths plead guilty to violently raping a 17-year-old girl in Dublin.

The court heard that Griffiths first approached the girl in a chip shop in a Dublin suburb but she pushed him away. He then grabbed her a second time on the street outside but she got away again before he grabbed her a third time.

This time he pushed her against railings and sexually assaulted her before he dragged her to the ground by her hair and pinned her by lying on top of her.

Griffiths ripped the girl’s clothes in an effort to get them off her. During the attack her male friend was trying to get him off the victim.

Irish Independent

In the case of rapist Graham Griffiths, the four year sentence was also suspended. He was asked to pay the teenager he raped €15000. He has four previous convictions for assault.

This is the same judge who sentenced a man to 4 years in prison for exaggerating his expenses to the tune of €116k.

Image from h3sean.com

Which is worse?

I don’t know about you, but I’d prefer the guy who defrauded Tesco or the guy who evaded millions in tax still be on the street (and paying a substantial fine & restitution), but they both received custodial sentences, as opposed to the two violent criminals Mark Jordan and Graham Griffiths who are free to drink in the pub next to me. Both of these men are unquestionably guilty of intentionally causing significant harm to women.

Both of them used the argument that they couldn’t help themselves.

If rapist Graham Griffiths and girlfriend beater Mark Jordan couldn’t help it, why aren’t they being kept somewhere where armed guards can help them resist the overwhelming temptation to assault women?

• Well illustrated point. I could not agree more, was only discussing this the other day. Makes no sense.

Fi said:
  • I feel sick. The world is messed up. All this shit tells me, is that this society values money more than we value women. Ugh. Ugh. Ugh.

Great article though. Thanks for writing it. It needs to be highlighted more. It just makes me so angry.

Eebs said:
  • Great article. Thank you for making the point so clearly. I wish this judge was put somewhere, anywhere but a courtroom. Totally agree Eebs, money outranks women in this society. Sick but true.

okitty said:
  • there is this belief that perhaps things like this would end if more women were to enter politics. Specifically, law making.
    Laws tend to put women at a disadvantage because they were written to protect members of the said, Boys Club. We need more of us infiltrating that club….Yet, again that’s easier said than done.

nin88 said:
  • @hmmmmm…
    You’re making serious allegations (of a crime) about the victim of a convicted offender. (I’m going to run it by editorial in fact, on the off chance we could be sued for publishing it) And in case you’re wondering, I’ve seen the photos taken of her in the hospital the night of the assault. So say what you want.

And certainly — this is a lesbian website, and domestic violence exists within all families, so of course women can be aggressors.

In this case, however, you’re presenting this to derail the conversation.

The fact is in the case of Mark Jordan and in the case of Graham Griffiths, they were both convicted of assault against women and were not given custodial sentences. This is the point.

If your buddy has a complaint, he should probably alert the authorities, and you probably shouldn’t prejudice the case by posting the details on websites.

CanuckJacq (author) said:
  • @hmmmmm….
    That the case is over is sort of my point. He has been convicted; she has not.

My point is that it seems amiss that people convicted of assault and rape (this conversation is not, in fact, about Mark Jordan — he’s just a recent example) should really serve custodial sentences, compared to say, tax cheats, as noted above.

I’m sorry I didn’t write the post clearly enough to make my point, and that I confused you into thinking that this, somehow, is an appropriate forum for making criminal allegations about a woman who the court agreed had been assaulted.

What I meant about the case is if he felt he was being abused, that’s a case to take to the police, not to a random website discussing inappropriate sentencing for convicted violent offenders.

CanuckJacq (author) said:
  • Hi all,

On behalf of the Editorial Team I’ve taken the decision to remove two comments that were posted here earlier, due to legal issues which will need to be addressed pending final decision on whether the comments can remain or must be removed.

If you have any questions, please contact editorial@gaelick.com

- click here (Editor)

• ::shrugs:: sorry I offended you in my questioning of your chosen example. perhaps they do not hand out custodial sentences in these cases simply because the evidence in a tax cheat case is, by way of the accusation itself, far more cut and dried. taxes are figures upon paper, therefore they can be examined as such. they can be hidden, changed, even destroyed, but all in all, they cant, say, turn into a great grey elephant and leave the room. Assault, however, especially that between partners, is quite a different thing indeed. while one party may well have more significant PHYSICAL injuries, the equally significant mental injuries cannot be seen, and are often discounted. hence the “battered wife” defense here in the states. personally, I would rather see a guilty man go free and pay restitution, tho it be deemed insignificant compared to his crime, then see an innocent man go to jail.

hmmmmm.... said:
  • I have some friends who make jokes about my own little brand of feminism and my women’s rights rants, but THIS IS WHY. its just upsetting to think that paying a fine is the equivalent of the assault that these women faced :(

kstew said:
  • Dear @hmmmmm

No one is discounting mental or emotional injuries to any party. However, if a person is being emotionally or mentally abused it is their prerogative to leave the relationship and the abuser. At no time, at all, is it up to them to break their fist on their partners face.

Diana Doss said:
  • Well, considering that my comment was COMPLETELY gender neutral, you figure that out for your self.

Diana Doss said:
  • And for the record, I do not believe that there is ever a time in which one is not responsible for their own actions (notice the gender neutrality here…). “Fugue state”, intoxicated, drug addled, what have you. Just because some one is not in control of themselves does not mean that they are not responsible for what they have done. (again, notice, gender neutrality…)

Diana Doss said:
  • same rules apply regardless of gender. gender has no bearing on becoming physically abusive with some one.

Once you strike a person I do not care who or what you are.

Diana Doss said:
  • Hey there, I’m speaking entirely non hypothetically here, and under my own name, on the record. I request that @hmmmmm…. whatever be barred from this thread, or action be taken for revealing actual, intimate and precise details of the battering and case in an attempt to harass the victim of this story. It is my belief that the person behind this profile is a friend to, or is known to the man convicted and is using this thread as an attempt to intimidate the victim. Not only do I find this personally distasteful, as I’m sure the moderator’s of Gaelick will, but also potentially libellous.

Siobhán Schnittger said:
  • The word hypothetical can and should only be used if you are making it up…the details here are very specific and as such are unacceptable. I concur that @hmmmmm has crossed a line and has infringed on the good practice rules of this site that most of us follow. Very suspicious of the motives behind this line of argument.

Nora said:
  • Hi all,

I’ve taken the decision to remove several comments that were posted here earlier, for the same reasons as before. (Innuendo, in the form of “hypothetical situations” or otherwise, doesn’t absolve the commenter.)

Those who want to make potentially libellous statements can assume the liability and take it elsewhere.

If you have any questions, please contact editorial@gaelick.com

- click here (Editor)

• Well done…this is why this site is so popular…it is really well monitored and creates a safe place to give your opinion. Thank you. Nora

Nora said:
  • Appreciated, thanks for that.

Siobhán Schnittger said: